Come see OC, Inc. at General Synod!
Attending the 2013 General Synod Conference in Long Beach, CA this year?
Come meet with OC Inc. at the United Church of Christ’s General Synod gathering at the Long Beach Convention Center this summer.
Leaders of the UCC’s media justice ministry are conducting a workshop, “The UCC and Media Justice: The Next 100 Years” at 2 p.m. Saturday June 29 in Room 201B of the convention center. We will be providing the latest information on key battles that are under way in the areas of media reform, media justice and media diversity, and how these issues impact so many other social justice concerns. We’ll be providing information on how you can support us, no matter where you live, and we also want to hear from you about the media issues that you care most about. The workshop will also give us another wonderful opportunity to celebrate the legacy of our founder, Rev. Dr. Everett Parker, as he celebrates his 100th birthday this year.
Among the topics the workshop will cover are:
- economic justice means access to new technologies and basic phone service for everyone and how these are threatened;
- how you can support the campaign to eliminate the predatory phone rates that are charged to prisoners and their families;
- fight hate speech against the LGBT and immigrant communities;
- how to create a media outlet for excluded voices through the one-time chance to apply for a community radio station in October 2013;
- media violence fast in September 2013 during the week of prayers for peace.
If you will be able to join us, we’d love to know in advance. If you won’t be able to attend the workshop, but would like to connect with us at General Synod, please let us know. And if you are a member of the UCC and won’t be at General Synod, we’ll be glad to send you a post-Synod update. Click here to let us know how we can best connect.
If you cannot get the link to connect with us to work, please send us your RSVP via email to info (at) uccmediajustice.org