Office of Communications, Inc.

How to File a Complaint at the FCC for Prison Phone Call Charges that are Too High

If you have been charged too much for a phone call to a prison, jail, or detention center, you may want to file a complaint. If your call was between two states – for example, you live in Oklahoma and you are receiving calls from Texas—you can complain to the Federal Communications Commission. How high is "too high"?  Check out our summary of the rules, and Frequently Asked Questions.

If you have a complaint about in-state calls—for example if you live in Texas and you are receiving calls from inside Texas—you need to complain to the state where you are making and receiving calls.  Click here to find your state regulator.

The FCC has a guide in English and in Spanish about informal complaints:

Consumer Guide to Informal Complaints

Guía para el Consumidor: Presentación de una queja informal

To file a complaint at the Federal Communications Commission about prison phone rates, you can either telephone the FCC or you can file a complaint online. To telephone the FCC, call 1-888-225-5322. The complaint form can be completed online or on paper. You can obtain copies of the form by calling the FCC.

To file your complaint, you will need:
  •   your telephone number,
  •   the name of the phone company,
  •   your account number
  •   the amount you believe you were overcharged.

You can attach copies of your telephone bill to the complaint, but that is not required. 

You can reach the FCC via TTY for people with disabilities: 1-888-835-5322

You can use the FCC’s toll-free fax number to send documents or a complaint: 1-866-418-0232

Copyright ©2014 OC Inc. | Subscribe to UCC Headlines | Subscribe to our Blog in a Reader facebook icon twitter icon twitter icon

Sign Up for Email